Sec. 158.15 - Project eligibility at PFC levels of $1, $2, or
(a) To be eligible, a project must --
(1) Preserve or enhance safety, security, or capacity of the national air transportation system;
(2) Reduce noise or mitigate noise impacts resulting from an airport; or
(3) Furnish opportunities for enhanced competition between or among air carriers.
(b) Eligible projects are any of the following projects --
(1) Airport development eligible under subchapter I of chapter 471 of 49 U.S.C.;
(2) Airport planning eligible under subchapter I of chapter 471 of 49 U.S.C.;
(3) Terminal development as described in 49 U.S.C. 47110(d);
(4) Airport noise compatibility planning as described in 49 U.S.C. 47505;
(5) Noise compatibility measures eligible for Federal assistance under 49 U.S.C. 47504, without regard to whether the measures have been approved pursuant to 49 U.S.C. 47504; or
(6) Construction of gates and related areas at which passengers are enplaned or deplaned and other areas directly related to the movement of passengers and baggage in air commerce within the boundaries of the airport. These areas do not include restaurants, car rental facilities, automobile parking facilities, or other concessions. In the case of a project required to enable additional air service by an air carrier with less than 50 percent of the annual passenger boardings at an airport, a project for constructing gates and related areas may include structural foundations and floor systems, exterior building walls and load-bearing interior columns or walls, windows, door, and roof systems, building utilities (including heating, air conditioning, ventilation, plumbing, and electrical service), and aircraft fueling facilities adjacent to the gate.
(c) An eligible project must be adequately justified to qualify for PFC funding.
[Doc. No. 26385, 56 FR 24278, May 29, 1991; 56
FR 37127, Aug. 2, 1991; Amdt. 158-2, 65 FR 34541, May 30, 2000]