Sec. 152.403 - Definitions.
As used in this subpart --
AADA means the Airport and Airway Development Act of 1970, as amended (49 U.S.C. 1701 et seq.).
Affirmative action plan means a set of specific and result-oriented procedures to which a sponsor, planning agency, state, or the aviation related activity on an airport commits itself to achieve equal employment opportunity.
Airport development means -- (1) Any work involved in constructing, improving, or repairing a public airport or portion thereof, including the removal, lowering, relocation, and marking and lighting of airport hazards, and including navigation aids used by aircraft landing at, or taking off from, a public airport, and including safety equipment required by rule or regulation for certification of the airport under section 612 of the Federal Aviation Act of 1958, and security equipment required of the sponsor by the Secretary by rule or regulation for the safety and security of persons and property on the airport, and including snow removal equipment, and including the purchase of noise suppressing equipment, the construction of physical barriers, and landscaping for the purpose of diminishing the effect of aircraft noise on any area adjacent to a public airport;
(2) Any acquisition of land or of any interest therein, or of any easement through or other interest in airspace, including land for future airport development, which is necessary to permit any such work or to remove or mitigate or prevent or limit the establishment of, airport hazards; and
(3) Any acquisition of land or of any interest therein necessary to insure that such land is used only for purposes which are compatible with the noise levels of the operation of a public airport.
Aviation related activity means a commercial enterprise -- (1) Which is operated on the airport pursuant to an agreement with the grantee or airport operator or to a derivative subagreement;
(2) Which employs persons on the airport; and
(3) Which -- (i) Is related primarily to the aeronautical activities on the airport;
(ii) Provides goods or services to the public which is attracted to the airport by aeronautical activities;
(iii) Provides services or supplies to other aeronautical related or public service airport businesses or to the airport; or
(iv) Performs construction work on the airport.
Aviation workforce includes, with respect to grantees, each person employed by the grantee on an airport or, for an aviation purpose, off the airport.
Covered organization means a grantee, a subgrantee, or an aviation related activity.
Covered suborganization is a subgrantee or sub-aviation related activity, of a covered organization.
Department means the United States Department of Transportation;
Grant means Federal financial assistance in the form of funds provided to a sponsor, planning agency, or state under this part;
Grantee means the recipient of a grant.
Minority means a person who is -- (1) Black and not of Hispanic origin: A person having origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa;
(2) Hispanic: A person of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Central or South American or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race;
(3) Asian or Pacific Islander: A person having origins in any or the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, the Indian subcontinent, or the Pacific Islands, including, but not limited to China, Japan, Korea, the Philippine Islands, and Samoa; or
(4) American Indian or Alaskan Native: A person having origins in any of the original peoples of North America who maintains cultural identification through tribal affiliation or community recognition.
Planning agency means any planning agency designated by the Secretary which is authorized by the laws of the State or States (including the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, American Samoa, the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands, and Guam) or political subdivisions concerned to engage in areawide planning for the area in which assistance under this part is to be used;
Secretary means the Secretary of Transportation or an authorized representative of the Secretary within the Department of Transportation;
SMSA means Standard Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Sponsor means any public agency that, either individually or jointly with one or more other public agencies, submits to the Administrator, in accordance with this part, an application for financial assistance, or that conducts a project for airport development or airport master planning, funded under this part;
Underutilization means having fewer minorities or women in a particular job group than would reasonable be expected from their availability in --
(1) The SMSA; or
(2) In the absence of a defined SMSA, in the counties contiguous to the employer's location, or the location where the work is to be performed, and in the areas from which persons may reasonably be expected to commute.