Sec. 121.409 - Training courses using airplane simulators and
other training devices.
(a) Training courses utilizing airplane simulators and other training devices may be included in the certificate holder's approved training program for use as provided in this section.
(b) A course of training in an airplane simulator may be included for use as provided in §121.441 if that course --
(1) Provides at least 4 hours of training at the pilot controls of an airplane simulator as well as a proper briefing before and after the training;
(2) Provides training in at least the procedures and maneuvers set forth in appendix F to this part; or
(3) Provides line-oriented training that --
(i) Utilizes a complete flight crew;
(ii) Includes at least the maneuvers and procedures (abnormal and emergency) that may be expected in line operations;
(iii) Is representative of the flight segment appropriate to the operations being conducted by the certificate holder; and
(4) Is given by an instructor who meets the applicable requirements of §121.412.
The satisfactory completion of the course of training must be certified by either the Administrator or a qualified check airman.
(c) The programmed hours of flight training set forth in this subpart do not apply if the training program for the airplane type includes --
(1) A course of pilot training in an airplane simulator as provided in §121.424(d); or
(2) A course of flight engineer training in an airplane simulator or other training device as provided in §121.425(c).
(d) Each certificate holder required to comply with §121.358 of this part must use an approved simulator for each airplane type in each of its pilot training courses that provides training in at least the procedures and maneuvers set forth in the certificate holder's approved low-altitude windshear flight training program. The approved low-altitude windshear flight training, if applicable, must be included in each of the pilot flight training courses prescribed in §§121.409(b), 121.418, 121.424, and 121.427 of this part.
[Doc. No. 9509, 35 FR 90, Jan. 3, 1970, as amended by Amdt.
121-130, 41 FR 47229, Oct. 28, 1976; Amdt. 121-144, 43 FR 22646, May 25,
1978; Amdt. 121-199, 53 FR 37696, Sept. 27, 1988; Amdt. 121-264, 62 FR
23120, Apr. 28, 1997]