(a) This subpart prescribes rules for operating civil aircraft in a
defense area, or into, within, or out of the United States through an Air
Defense Identification Zone (ADIZ), designated in subpart B.
(b) Except for §§99.7 and 99.12, this subpart does not apply to the
operation of any aircraft --
(1) Within the 48 contiguous States and the District of Columbia, or
within the State of Alaska, on a flight which remains within 10 nautical
miles of the point of departure;
(2) Operating at true airspeed of less than 180 knots in the Hawaii
ADIZ or over any island, or within 12 nautical miles of the coastline of
any island, in the Hawaii ADIZ;
(3) Operating at true airspeed of less than 180 knots in the Alaska
ADIZ while the pilot maintains a continuous listening watch on the
appropriate frequency; or
(4) Operating at true airspeed of less than 180 knots in the Guam ADIZ.
(c) An FAA ATC center may exempt the following operations from this
subpart (except §99.7), on a local basis only, with the concurrence of the
military commanders concerned:
(1) Aircraft operations that are conducted wholly within the boundaries
of an ADIZ and are not currently significant to the air defense system.
(2) Aircraft operations conducted in accordance with special procedures
prescribed by the military authorities concerned.