(b) Occupants in addition to those authorized under paragraph (a) of
this section may be carried as follows:
(1) For each additional floor-level exit at least 24 inches wide by 48
inches high, with an unobstructed 20-inch-wide access aisleway between the
exit and the main passenger aisle, 12 additional occupants.
(2) For each additional window exit located over a wing that meets the
requirements of the airworthiness standards under which the airplane was
type certificated or that is large enough to inscribe an ellipse 19×26
inches, eight additional occupants.
(3) For each additional window exit that is not located over a wing but
that otherwise complies with paragraph (b)(2) of this section, five
(4) For each airplane having a ratio (as computed from the table in
paragraph (a) of this section) of maximum number of occupants to number of
exits greater than 14:1, and for each airplane that does not have at least
one full-size, door-type exit in the side of the fuselage in the rear part
of the cabin, the first additional exit must be a floor-level exit that
complies with paragraph (b)(1) of this section and must be located in the
rear part of the cabin on the opposite side of the fuselage from the main
entrance door. However, no person may operate an airplane under this
section carrying more than 115 occupants unless there is such an exit on
each side of the fuselage in the rear part of the cabin.
(c) No person may eliminate any approved exit except in accordance with
(1) The previously authorized maximum number of occupants must be
reduced by the same number of additional occupants authorized for that
exit under this section.
(2) Exits must be eliminated in accordance with the following priority
schedule: First, non-over-wing window exits; second, over-wing window
exits; third, floor-level exits located in the forward part of the cabin;
and fourth, floor-level exits located in the rear of the cabin.
(3) At least one exit must be retained on each side of the fuselage
regardless of the number of occupants.
(4) No person may remove any exit that would result in a ratio of
maximum number of occupants to approved exits greater than 14:1.
(d) This section does not relieve any person operating under part 121
of this chapter from complying with §121.291.