Sec. 29.395 - Control system.
(a) The reaction to the loads prescribed in §29.397 must be provided by --
(1) The control stops only;
(2) The control locks only;
(3) The irreversible mechanism only (with the mechanism locked and with the control surface in the critical positions for the effective parts of the system within its limit of motion);
(4) The attachment of the control system to the rotor blade pitch control horn only (with the control in the critical positions for the affected parts of the system within the limits of its motion); and
(5) The attachment of the control system to the control surface horn (with the control in the critical positions for the affected parts of the system within the limits of its motion).
(b) Each primary control system, including its supporting structure, must be designed as follows:
(1) The system must withstand loads resulting from the limit pilot forces prescribed in §29.397;
(2) Notwithstanding paragraph (b)(3) of this section, when power-operated actuator controls or power boost controls are used, the system must also withstand the loads resulting from the limit pilot forces prescribed in §29.397 in conjunction with the forces output of each normally energized power device, including any single power boost or actuator system failure;
(3) If the system design or the normal operating loads are such that a part of the system cannot react to the limit pilot forces prescribed in §29.397, that part of the system must be designed to withstand the maximum loads that can be obtained in normal operation. The minimum design loads must, in any case, provide a rugged system for service use, including consideration of fatigue, jamming, ground gusts, control inertia, and friction loads. In the absence of a rational analysis, the design loads resulting from 0.60 of the specified limit pilot forces are acceptable minimum design loads; and
(4) If operational loads may be exceeded through jamming, ground gusts, control inertia, or friction, the system must withstand the limit pilot forces specified in §29.397, without yielding.
[Doc. No. 5084, 29 FR 16150, Dec. 3, 1964, as amended by Amdt.
29-26, 55 FR 8002, Mar. 6, 1990]