Sec. 21.321 - Applicability.
(a) This subpart prescribes --
(1) Procedural requirements for the issue of export airworthiness approvals; and
(2) Rules governing the holders of those approvals.
(b) For the purposes of this subpart --
(1) A Class I product is a complete aircraft, aircraft engine, or propeller, which --
(i) Has been type certificated in accordance with the applicable Federal Aviation Regulations and for which Federal Aviation Specifications or type certificate data sheets have been issued; or
(ii) Is identical to a type certificated product specified in paragraph (b)(1)(i) of this section in all respects except as is otherwise acceptable to the civil aviation authority of the importing state.
(2) A Class II product is a major component of a Class I product (e.g., wings, fuselages, empennage assemblies, landing gears, power transmissions, control surfaces, etc), the failure of which would jeopardize the safety of a Class I product; or any part, material, or appliance, approved and manufactured under the Technical Standard Order (TSO) system in the "C" series.
(3) A Class III product is any part or component which is not a Class I or Class II product and includes standard parts, i.e., those designated as AN, NAS, SAE, etc.
(4) The words "newly overhauled" when used to describe a product means that the product has not been operated or placed in service, except for functional testing, since having been overhauled, inspected and approved for return to service in accordance with the applicable Federal Aviation Regulations.
[Amdt. 21-2, 30 FR 11375, July 2, 1965, as
amended by Amdt. 21-48, 44 FR 15649, Mar. 15, 1979]