Sec. 23.203 - Turning flight and
accelerated turning stalls.
Turning flight and accelerated turning stalls must be demonstrated in tests as follows:
(a) Establish and maintain a coordinated turn in a 30 degree bank. Reduce speed by steadily and progressively tightening the turn with the elevator until the airplane is stalled, as defined in §23.201(b). The rate of speed reduction must be constant, and --
(1) For a turning flight stall, may not exceed one knot per second; and
(2) For an accelerated turning stall, be 3 to 5 knots per second with steadily increasing normal acceleration.
(b) After the airplane has stalled, as defined in §23.201(b), it must be possible to regain wings level flight by normal use of the flight controls, but without increasing power and without --
(1) Excessive loss of altitude;
(2) Undue pitchup;
(3) Uncontrollable tendency to spin;
(4) Exceeding a bank angle of 60 degrees in the original direction of the turn or 30 degrees in the opposite direction in the case of turning flight stalls;
(5) Exceeding a bank angle of 90 degrees in the original direction of the turn or 60 degrees in the opposite direction in the case of accelerated turning stalls; and
(6) Exceeding the maximum permissible speed or allowable limit load factor.
(c) Compliance with the requirements of this section must be shown under the following conditions:
(1) Wing flaps: Retracted, fully extended, and each intermediate normal operating position;
(2) Landing gear: Retracted and extended;
(3) Cowl flaps: Appropriate to configuration;
(i) Power off; and
(ii) 75 percent of maximum continuous
power. However, if the power-to-weight ratio at 75 percent of maximum
continuous power results in extreme nose-up attitudes, the test may be
carried out with the power required for level flight in the landing
configuration at maximum landing weight and a speed of 1.4 V
(5) Trim: The airplane trimmed at
a speed as near 1.5 V
(6) Propeller. Full increase rpm position for the power off condition.
[Amdt. 23-14, 38 FR 31820, Nov. 19, 1973, as
amended by Amdt. 23-45, 58 FR 42159, Aug. 6, 1993; Amdt. 23-50, 61 FR
5191, Feb. 9, 1996]