Blohm und Voss
On April 5, 1877, Hermann Blohm and Ernst Voss founded the
Blohm+Voss Schiffswerft und Maschinenfabrik shipbuilding and engineering
works as a general partnership. A shipyard was built on the island of
Kuhwerder, near the Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg, covering 1˝
hectares, with a quarter-kilometer of water frontage and three building
berths, two suitable for ships of up to 100 meters length.
The company has continued to build ships and other large machines for 125
years. Despite being almost completely demolished after the end of World
War II, it now builds warships both for the Deutsche Marine and for
export, as well as oil drilling equipment and ships for numerous
From about 1930 to 1945 the Blohm und Voss company also designed and built
aircraft for use by both the German state airline, Lufthansa, and the
air-force, Luftwaffe. These included both land-planes and flying boats.
Some of the designs were remarkable for the imagination and ingenuity