The Grahame-White Aviation Company began
assembling Burgess Baby aircraft in 1910. In 1911 the company produced the
New Baby and was also soon building Morane-Saulnier monoplanes under
licence. When John D North joined the company in 1913 he began designing
aircraft for the company, many of which were used by the Grahame-White
flying school and pilots at the many aviation meetings.
The factory grew rapidly during World
War One. Orders were received from the Admiralty and the War Office for
aircraft. Some of the houses in the area were built to accommodate the
workforce for the factories; Aeroville was built by the Grahame-White
company to house some of its employees.
An Aircraft Acceptance Park was
established to take delivery of aircraft from the many factories in the
area, including the Grahame-White works, Handley Page and Airco. In
addition many pilots were trained at Hendon for both the Royal Naval Air
Service and Royal Flying Corps. Three pilots who trained at Hendon,
Mannock, Ball and Warneford, were later awarded the Victoria Cross for
their bravery in the air.