Based on number of engines produced, Lycoming is the
world's largest aircraft engine company. More than half the general
aviation fleet is powered by Lycoming engines.
1908: Lycoming is formed in Williamsport, Pennsylvania.
1929: As a subsidiary of E.L. Cord's Auburn Auto Co., Lycoming produces
its first aircraft engine, the R-680.
1932: Lycoming Manufacturing becomes part of the Aviation Corporation (AVCO).
The company becomes known as Avco Lycoming.
1951: Lycoming hires Dr. Anselm Franz, designer of the World War II Jumo
004, and begins work on turboshaft powerplants.
1985: Avco is sold to Textron which renames the company Textron Lycoming.
1995: The jet engine business at Stratford, Connecticut is sold to
AlliedSignal (now Honeywell). The piston engine business remains Textron