In 1938, Continental
introduced the A50, an improved version of their ground-breaking A40 of
1931. In early 1939, the A65 introduced refinements that allowed increased
horsepower for the same displacement.
The military designation for the A65 was the O-170.
- A50: 50 hp ( kW) @ 1,900 rpm
- A65: 65 hp (48 kW) @ 2,300 rpm
- O-170-3: 65 hp (48 kW) @ 2,300 rpm
- 4-cylinder, horizontally-opposed, air-cooled piston
- Displacement: 171 cubic inches (2.8 litres)
- Bore x stroke: 3.875 x 3.625 inches
- Erco 415 Ercoupe
- Luscombe Silvaire 8
- Piper J-3 Cub