Menasco Manufacturing was established by
Albert Menasco in Los Angeles in 1926. The company's first product was an
air-cooled rebuild of a Salmson radial.
Menasco C-4 Pirate
In 1929, Menasco introduced the 4-A, the first of what was to become its
main product line, the inverted, in-line engine.
Al Menasco’s air racing heritage, more than any other achievement, put his
engines “on the map.” From 1930 to 1937, Menasco engines won three times
as many air races in US and foreign closed course competition as all other
brands combined. They totally dominated their size classes (discouraging
the entry of rivals) and even scored key victories against much larger
engines in Thompson Trophy national air races. The Menasco racing engines
were major technical achievements, and only certain engineering obstacles
forestalled even better results.
The company ended engine development and manufacturing after World War II.
Most recently Menasco Aerospace was known for its landing gear and, as
part of Coltec Industries, was acquired by Goodrich Aerospace in 1999.
The Menasco C-4
was a enlarged B-4 with the bore increased from 4.5 to 4.75 inches. The
C-4 was called the "Pirate", Menasco's trade name for its four-cylinder
The U.S. Military designation for the Menasco C-4 was the L-365.
- Four cylinder, air-cooled, in-line, inverted
- Displacement: 363 cubic inches (5.9 litres)
- Bore x stroke: 4.75 x 5.125 inches