In 1928, Fairchild Aircraft introduced the 6-370, a
six-cylinder, in-line, air-cooled engine. Through the 1930s, this engine
used larger cylinders to increase displacement through 390, 410 and
finally 441 cubic inches.
The Model 6-440 was the last and largest
of four 6-cylinder engines produced by the Ranger Engine Division of
Fairchild Aircraft. Designated by the U.S. military as the L-440, this
engine was used almost exclusively by Fairchild aircraft.