The Tumanskii construction bureau (KB)
began as the Mikulin KB which was established in 1943.
Sergei Konstantinovich Tumanskii worked on superchargers during World War
II and became the deputy of the Mikulin KB. When Mikulin was removed in
1956, Tumanskii was appointed General Constructor of the renamed bureau.
Since then, Tumanskii engines have been built in larger numbers than any
other construction bureau (well over 70,000). Tumanskii is now known as
MNPK Soyuz (Alliance).