The Aeronautical Corp of America was formed in 1928 using personnel from Roche-Dohse. In 1929, the company changed its name to Aeronca. Aeronca was known for its light sport aircraft.
Due to the lack of a suitable engine for their early aircraft, Aeronca designed and assembled their own. The company switched to other engines when reliable small engines appeared in the late 1930s.
Aeronca production ended in 1951 after producing over 17,000 aircraft. Today, Aeronca Aerospace is a subcontractor of aircraft structures.
When Aeronca designed it's first aircraft it could find no suitable engines and designed its own. Aeronca's engines were built by Govro-Nelson of Detriot and J.A. Prestwich of London.
The E-113 replaced Aeronca's first engine, the E-107. In the late 1930s, government regulations requiring dual ignition and the introduction of improved light engines by other manufacturers spelled the end of the E-113. Around 1,800 were built.
2 cylinder, air cooled, horizontally opposed
Displacement: 113.5 cubic engines (1.9 litres)