On April 30,1916, in
Moscow, near the Intercession Church in Fili, the Russian-Baltic
joint-stock company founded a plant for production of Russian automobiles,
which in 1917 was named "The Second Russo-Balt Automobile Plant".
Later, the plant was given
in concession to the German company "Junkers" and the first 50 Ju-20
airplanes were produced here. Since the mid-1920s, the development of the
national aviation technics started. The ideas of the aircraft designer
A.Tupolev and his disciples A.Arkhangelsky and A.Petlyakov were put into
In August 1929, the flight
Moscow - New York was undertaken with the TB-1 (ANT-4) plane, constructed
on this plant. 20,000km were covered within 137 hours, that set up the
world speed record at that time. In 1931-1935 the serial production of a
4-motor bomber TB-3 (ANT-6) was launched.
In the post-war period,
the development and serial production of the 4-motor bomber Tu-4 "Flying
Fortress" was started. It was the first to have radiolocating equipment
installed aboard. In 1951, the design office headed by V.Myasishchev was
established in the plant, later named Salyut Design Bureau. In 1951
through 1960, it created the M-4 and 3M bombers, the latter also known
abroad as "Bizon", and supersonic bomber and missile launcher M-50.
In 1960-1961, the plant has developed and produced the M-6 helicopter by
the aircraft designer M.Mil.