The Neiva Lanceiro is a Brazilian light-plane, but shows marked American
influence in its basic design. One unusual feature of the Lanceiro is the
sharp taper on both the leading- and trailing-edges of the wingtips.
In 1959 Neiva started work on the design of an all-metal four-seat light
aircraft, initially designated Neiva 360C. The prototype flew on 7
September 1961 and the Brazilian Ministry of Aeronautics granted a Type
Certificate on 12 November 1963. Powered by a 180-hp (134-k W) Continental
0-360-A1D engine with a Hartzell constant-speed propeller, the aircraft
was put into production, as the Regente 360C, against an order for 80
examples from the Brazilian air force. In military service it became the
U-42 (later C-42)and the first delivery was made in February 1975.
Neiva also developed for the Brazilian air force a liaison and observation
version of the Regente, to replace the Nevia L-6s and Cessna 0-1 Bird Dogs
then in service. The rear fuselage was lowered to provide improved
all-round visibility from the cabin, which contained three seats, and
underwing carriers could be fitted for the attachment of light stores. The
prototype Regente 42OL or YL-42, powered by a 210-hp (157-KW) Continental
IO-360-D, made its first flight in January 1967 and 40 production L-42s
were ordered. The first of these flew in June 1969 and production was
terminated in March 1971. During the following year, however, the company
flew the prototype of a four-seat civil version which was to become known
as the Lanceiro. The first production Lanciero flew on 5 September 1973
and manufacture creased in 1976. The specification applies to the Lanceiro.
NEIVA’s 49 years in the business are mixed with the
very history of Brazilian aviation. Neiva was founded on October 12, 1954
to design and manufacture the gliders BN-1 and Neiva B Monitor. Initially
installed at the Airport of Manguinhos in the city of Rio de Janeiro, in
1956 the Company moved to Botucatu, state of São Paulo.
In 1960 the Company started its design activities in
São José dos Campos, where it successfully developed and marketed the
Paulistinha P-56, Regente U-42, Regente Elo L-42 and Universal T-25. In
1962 the Company started research and development of the Universal
military trainer, whose production line was set up in São José dos Campos
as from 1969. The Regente was phased into production in 1964.
On March 11, 1980 Neiva was acquired by Embraer,
assuming the new owner’s engineering and production lines of smaller
aircraft, as well as the Ipanema. In 1982 Neiva started to convert the
Navajo aircraft into a local version, named Carajá, and in 1990 initiated
local production of components for the Piper line.
In 1999 the manufacture of parts for other Embraer
aircraft began to be transferred from São José dos Campos to Botucatu,
allowing Neiva to increase its staff and significantly expand its
facilities. Among the items currently produced in Botucatu are:
Parts and components for the ERJ 145 and EMBRAER 170/190 families;
Production line of EMB 202 ‘Ipanemão’;
Cabling, electric and metallic panels;
Design and production of ground support equipment;
Parts, components and assembly of the ALX/Super Tucano.
Neiva has delivered more than 3,500 aircraft, is
installed in a 249.600 sq. m. area, of which the erected area is 35.700
sq. m., and hires 1,051 employees.