The Yugoslav company
Fabrika Aviona Utva designed and constructed the prototype of a four-seat
utility aircraft. which flew for the first time on April 22, 1959. Of
braced high-wing monoplane configuration. This was powered by a 260 hp
(191 kW) Avco Lycoming GO-435 piston engine, and was designed UTVA-56.
Early testing was satisfactory, but during finalization of the design.
Prior to production, it was decided to introduce a slightly more powerful
engine. This, plus detail changes in design. Resulting in a change of
designation to UTVA-60.
construction. the UTVA-60 had a wing incorporation ailerons that were
interlinked to droop when the trailing edge flaps were extended. Landing
gear was of conventional tailwheel type, the main units comprising
cantilever steel tube struts, with rubber in com compression shock
absorption. Accommodation was provided for a pilot and three passengers,
but interior changes could be made easily so that the UTVA-60 could be
made easily so that the UTVA-60 could serve as an air ambulance, or for
cargo carrying. Four other versions were available to complement the
basic four seat utility model identified as the U-60-AT1. These others
comprised U-60-AT2. Intended primarily as a trainer and equipped with
dual controls. The U-60-Ag agricultural versions. The U-60-AM air
ambulance and the U-60H floatplane. This last differed from the others
in having a strengthened fuselage structure and in the insulation of a
296-hp Avco Lycoming GO-480-G1H6 engine. the details which follow apply
specifically to the basic U-60-AT1.
four seat general light plane
one 270-hp Avco Lycoming GO-480-B1A6 flat six piston engine.
maximum cruising speed 143 mph, surface ceiling 17,060 ft range
empty 2,099 lb maximum take off 3,571 lb
span 37 ft 4 3/4 in. Length 26 ft 11 1/2 in