Pfalz D.III

The German Air Force began equipping fighter units with the rugged and reliable Pfalz D.III in August 1917. Together with the Albatros D.Va and the Fokker D.VII, the D.III and the improved D.IIIa, helped revive Germany's air superiority over the Allies. Compared to its contemporary rivals, the Pfalz D.III was not a great fighter, but it was very fast in a dive. It was frequently used to attack and destroy observation balloons with great success.

Country: Germany
Manufacturer: Pfalz Flugzeug-Werke GmbH
Type: Fighter
First Introduced: 1917
Number Built: More than 1,000
Engine(s): Mercedes D.III, 6 cylinder, liquid cooled inline, 160 hp
Wing Span: 30 ft 10 in [9.4 m]
Length: 22 ft 9 in [6.95 m]
Height: 8 ft 9 in [2.67 m]
Empty Weight:
Gross Weight: 2,056 lb [933 kg]
Max Speed: 102.5 mph [165 km/h]
Ceiling: 16,995 ft [5,180 m]
Endurance: 2 hours
Crew: 1
Armament: 2 Spandau 7.92 mm machine guns