This airplane is an exact reproduction
of the Wright 1909 Military Flyer. Upon being purchased by the Signal
Corps for $30,000 on August 2, 1909, the original airplane was
redesignated Signal Corps Airplane No. 1, the world's first military
heavier-than-air flying machine. It was used in October 1909 for giving
flight instructions to Lts. Frank P. Lahm and Frederic E. Humphreys, and
in 1910 it was used by Lt. Benjamin D. Foulois to teach himself how to
fly. By March 1911, the airplane was no longer fit for use and was
retired. It is now on exhibit at the Smithsonian Institution, Washington
Span: 36 ft. 6 in.
Length: 28 ft. 11 in.
Height: 7 ft. 10 1/2 in.
Weight: 740 lbs.
Engine: Four cylinder Wright of 30.6 hp.
Cost: $25,000 plus $5000 bonus
Maximum speed: 42 mph.
Maximum endurance: 1 hr. (approx.)