Curtiss 1911 Model D
This airplane is a reproduction of the
Curtiss 1911 Model D Type IV pusher, the second military airplane
purchased by the U.S. Army Signal Corps. Known as Signal Corps Airplane
No. 2, it was accepted at Fort Sam Houston, Texas, on April 27, 1911, one
of five airplanes ordered by the Army that year. The military Model D is
similar to the Curtiss Standard D pusher, having a tricycle landing gear
and interplane ailerons, but the ailerons are attached to the rear instead
of the front interplane struts. The wings were made in sections, making
the airplane easy to disassemble and transport on Army wagons. The pilot
operates the ailerons with a shoulder yoke on his seat, and the front
elevator and rear rudder with the wheel mounted on a column in front of
him. An observer's seat is located behind the pilot.
Span: 38 ft. 3 in. (including ailerons)
Length: 29 ft. 3 in.
Height: 7 ft. 10 in.
Weight: 700 lbs. empty 1,300 lbs. loaded
Engine: Curtiss V-8 of 60 hp.
Maximum Speed: 50 mph.
Maximum Endurance: 2 1/2 hrs. (approx)