Douglas C-124C Globemaster
The C-124 evolved from the earlier
Douglas C-74. To facilitate cargo handling, the C-124, or "Old Shakey" as
it was affectionately known, featured "clamshell" loading doors and
hydraulic ramps in the nose and an elevator under the aft fuselage. It was
capable of handling such bulky cargo as tanks, field guns, bull dozers,
and trucks. It could also be converted into a transport capable of
carrying 200 fully-equipped soldiers in its double-decked cabin or 127
litter patients and their attendants.
The first flight by a C-124 took place
on Nov. 27, 1949 and deliveries of C-124As began in May 1950. The USAF
bought 448 C-124s before production ended in 1955. These planes performed
such missions as airlift support in the Far East and Southeast Asia,
re-supply missions to Antarctica, refugee evacuation in the Congo and mercy
flights to Morocco, Chile and elsewhere throughout the world following
floods and other natural disasters. Most C-124s were transferred to the
Air Force Reserve and the Air National Guard by 1970 and all were released
from active service in mid-1974.
Span: 174 ft. 1 in.
Length: 130 ft.
Height: 48 ft. 4 in.
Weight: 216,000 lbs. max.
Engines: Four Pratt & Whitney R-4360s of 3,800 hp. ea.
Serial Number: 52-1066
Displayed As: 51-135
Maximum speed: 320 mph.
Cruising speed: 200 mph.
Range: 2,175 miles
Service Ceiling: 34,000 ft.