Convair F-106A Delta Dart
The F-106 all-weather interceptor was
developed from the Convair F-102 "Delta Dagger." Originally designated the
F-102B, it was redesignated F-106 because it had extensive structural
changes and a more powerful engine. The first F-106A flew on Dec. 26,
1956, and deliveries to the Air Force began in July 1959. Production ended
in late 1960 after 277 F-106As and 63 F-106Bs had been built.
The F-106 uses a Hughes MA-1 electronic
guidance and fire control system. After takeoff, the MA-1 can be given
control of the aircraft to fly it to the proper altitude and attack
position. Then it can fire the Genie and Falcon missiles, break off the
attack run, and return the aircraft to the vicinity of its base. The pilot
takes control again for the landing.
Span: 38 ft. 4 in.
Length: 70 ft. 9 in.
Height: 20 ft. 4 in.
Armament: One AIR-2A Genie air-to-air nuclear missile and four
AIM-4 Falcon air-to-air missiles.
Engine: One Pratt & Whitney J75-P-17 of 24,500 lbs. thrust with
Serial Number: 58-787
Maximum speed: 1,525 mph
Cruising speed: 650 mph.
Range: 1,500 miles