Douglas RB-66B Destroyer
The B-66 was developed from the Navy A3D
Skywarrior for USAF use as a tactical light bomber and photo
reconnaissance aircraft. An RB-66A, one of five of these reconnaissance
aircraft ordered as prototypes, was the first to fly on June 28, 1954.
B-66s became operational in 1956; production ended in 1958. The RB-66B
recon version was the first production series and totalled 145 of the 294
The B-66 was the last tactical bomber
built for the USAF, and only the B-66B was designed exclusively as a
bomber. Others served as tactical recon aircraft while the final version,
the WB-66D, was designed for electronic weather reconnaissance.
Some B-66s were modified for service in
Vietnam as electronic countermeasures aircraft to confuse enemy radar
Span: 72 ft. 6 in.
Length: 75 ft. 2 in.
Height: 23 ft. 7 in.
Weight: 91,000 lbs. max.
Armament: Two 20mm cannons in tail; 8,044 lbs. of photo flash bombs
Engines: Two Allison J71s of 10,200 lbs. thrust each
Serial number: 53-475
Maximum speed: 585 mph.
Cruising speed: 525 mph.
Range: 1,800 miles
Service Ceiling: 43,000 ft.