The B-23 is a
twin-engine bomber developed as a successor to the Douglas B-18. First
flown in July 1939, the B-23 incorporated many features of the Douglas
DC-3 commercial transport. Although it was much faster than the B-18
and was the first operational Army bomber equipped with a tail gun, the
Dragon was soon outclassed by more modern bombers such as the North
American B-25 and the Martin B-26. As a result, only 38 B-23s were
The B-23s were never
used in combat during WW II. Instead they served in secondary roles as
reconnaissance, training, transport, and test-bed aircraft. Some of the
Dragons used in transport service were re-designated UC-67s.
After the war, all
B-23s/UC-67s were declared surplus and many were sold to private
operators for use as cargo and executive transports. Several of these
aircraft were still flying in the early 1980s. the Museum's B-23,
acquired in 1982, will require extensive restoration.
92 ft. 0 in.
Length: 58 ft. 6 in.
Height: 18 ft. 6 in.
Weight: 32,400 lbs. max.
Armament: Three .30-cal. M-2 machine guns, one .50-cal. M-2
machine gun, plus 4,000 lbs. of bombs carried internally
Engines: Two Wright R-2600-3s of 1,600 hp. ea.
Serial Number: 39-037
Other Registrations: N800N, N41821
Cruising speed: 210 mph.
Range: 1,400 miles
Service Ceiling: 31,600 ft.