Designed by Ingeniere
Rodolfo Verduxio, the Caproni Ca 133 was an aerodynamically and
structurally improved Ca 1O1 which first appeared in 1927. Of welded
steel-tube construction with metal and fabric covering, the Ca 133
featured faired engine nacelles with NACA cowlings, main wheel spats,
flaps and modified tail surfaces. The civil version accommodating up to
16 passengers, was used by Ala Littoria, and the military version saw
wide service with the Regia Aeronautica, particularly in Italian East
Africa. Incorporating two small bomb bays in its structure and armed
with four 7.7 mm (0.303 in) Breda-SAFAT machine-guns it was operated as
a bomber under the designation Ca 133.
A Caproni Ca 148 of the Italian airline Ala Littoria. It was an
improved but unarmed passenger version of the Ca 133
deployed as military transports, with an interior fitted out to
accommodate 18 fully equipped troops, were redesignated Ca i33T and,
similarly, conversions for use in an ambulance role were designated Ca
133S. In 1938 a small number of an improved version of the Ca 133 was
introduced under the designation Ca 148, serving initially in East
Africa, and some survived to fly with the post-war Italian air force.
The Ca 148 differed from the earlier aircraft by having the cockpit
moved forward by approximately 3 ft (0.91 m), the main cabin door
relocated from its original position below the port wing to a point
behind the trailing edge, and strengthened landing gear. Exact figures
are not known, but its thought around 419 Ca 133s were built with an
other 106 Ca 148s being produced as well.
Caproni Ca 133 - The Ca
133 was modernised version of the Ca 101, cleaned up aerodynamically
and given improved engines in an attempt to prolong the type's career
as an 16 passenger airliner and second line or "colonial" bomber and
Caproni Ca 133S - The
designation of bomber aircraft converted to the role of Air Ambulance.
This type was unarmed.
Caproni Ca 133T - The
designation of bomber aircraft converted over for use as troop
transports. The bomb bays were removed and seats for 18 fully armed
troops were added. The type retained its machine-gun armament.
Caproni Ca 148 - This
version was first introduced in 1938 and featured many improvements
over the Ca 133. Intended as a civil airliner, it nonetheless saw
action in East Africa and later served with the post-war Italian Air
Force. The most recognisable changes were moving the cockpit forward
about 3 ft (0.91 m) and relocating the main cabin door from its
original position below the port wing to a point to the rear of the
trailing edge. The landing gear was also strengthened.
(Caproni Ca 133)
Type: Two Seat
Civil Transport & Military Transport/Bomber
(Ca 133 civil) Pilot, Co-pilot/Navigator & 16 passengers. (Ca 133T)
Pilot, Co-pilot/Navigator & 18 fully equipped troops. (Ca 133 bomber)
Pilot, Co-pilot/Navigator & two gunners
Ingeniere Rodolfo Verduzio
Societa Italiana Caproni in Milan (Taliedo) under the direction of
Three 460 hp (343 kW) Piaggio Stella P.VII C.16 7-cylinder radial
Maximum speed 174 mph (280 km/h); cruising speed 143 mph (230 km/h);
service ceiling 18,045 ft (5500 m).
Range: 839 miles
(1350 km) with normal load.
8,818 lbs (4000 kg) with a maximum take-off weight of 14,473 lbs (6565
69 ft 8 1/2 in (21.25 m); length 50 ft 4 1/4 in (15.35 m); height 13 ft
1 1/2 in (4.00 m); wing area 699.68 sq ft
7.7 mm (0.303 in) Breda-SAFAT machine-guns (side door, dorsal turret
and ventral positions) plus up to 1,102 lbs (500 kg) of bombs in two
small bomb bays and/or external racks.
133, Ca 133S (ambulance), Ca 133T (transport), Ca 148.
flight (Ca 133) December 1934.
(Regia Aeronautica, Aeronautica Cobelligerante del Sud, Aeronautica
Nazionale Repubblicana), Germany (Luftwaffe), Spain, Austria.