In the 1920s, Continental Motors made
engines for other manufacturers' cars and trucks. The company's first
production aircraft engine was a radial that flew in 1929.
In 1931, Continental introduced the engine that defined the company, the
A40 four-cylinder, horizontally-opposed piston engine.
Continental was acquired by Teledyne in 1969 to form Teledyne Continental
Motors. In addition to horizontally-opposed piston engines, TCM also
produces small gas turbine engines for RPVs, missiles and small aircraft.